Name:
Location: Woodstock, Georgia, United States

Thursday, June 15, 2006

This is my first post. It will be a kind of mission statement of this blog.

Equality.

As you can tell by the name of this blog, I have a thing against forced equality. Vonnegut wrote the short story "Harrison Bergeron" in 1961.

It's theme is taking forced equality to its eventual resting place. In 2006, the current year, the only forced equality is the remnants of the Civil Rights Equal Opportunity. Which has served its purpose very well. But where do we stop?

If a person works hard and makes too much money we tax them more, that right? I do not think so, sure some people may think those people are lucky, but mostly they just did a damn good job and got their just desserts. But lets say we start taxing those people harder to even out the equality of people. Then those people will become less productive, why work harder and smarter for the same money as the person who surfs the internet all day. And where do you stop this equality, is it far that George Clooney and Brad Pitt are trimmer and more fit than I? No, so lets force them to wear masks and a suit of ball bearings( this is a theme of Harrison Bergeron). What about people smarter than you, is that fair? In the short story people had to wear a earpiece that periodically made a loud noise in your ear. Someone writing the story today would probably use a head piece that would interupt your brain waves.

The United States Declaration of Independence states, "that all men are created equal." And I believe in my heart that all people are created equal. No where does the Declaration or the Constitution state that all men are equal. As long as there is free will then people will not be equal. True, once you eliminate free will, or through technology handicap the smarter, stronger, and better looking people you could create a false equality. Of course in Science Fiction there is the perfect commune and equality. "We are the Borg, lower your shield and join our collective". Some people would gladly agree to that for free health care.

Of course, as the old saying goes, "Nothing in life is free".

Someone is probably thinking, heck that white boy probably grew up in a well to do or middle class environment. Not hardly, I remember after my parents got divorced that my brothers and I would eat beans, corn bread and fried potatos weeks on end. Or the times our power or water were cut off. Or hid from the insurance man, back when they would make house calls in small towns. I wanted to go to college and I knew there was no way my parents could afford it, so I joined the U.S. Army. 1986-1989. A truly remarkable experience which I will always be greatful for.

Anyway, this is probably a long post for a first one, but when I get going, katie bar the door.

Remember this, you have every chance to make a better world for you and your family. The world does not owe you that, you owe it to yourself. Say to yourself everyday, "I am the Emperor of my life and I control my own destiny."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home